[F8/multilib] {,/usr}/{,s}bin64 (was: Split libperl from perl)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Apr 27 18:22:56 UTC 2007

If anyone talks to David "the vulgar" Woodhouse, please pass on the following.

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 06:36:56PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:

> > > Not on my planet.
> > >
> > > devserv /mnt/redhat/rel-eng/f7-test4-20070423.0/6.93/Fedora/ppc/os/Fedora $
> > > ls *.ppc.rpm | wc -l 1286
> >
> > David, you're looking at the "Fedora" spin which is a subset of all the
> > packages, some Core, some Extras.  Axel is obviously looking at the full
> > tree.
>
> Ah, thanks. If I look at my rawhide mirror, that helps me get slightly
> closer to his inflated numbers

Even when pointed to his errors by several people and demonstrants
carrying banners with large errors, he stil remains Mr. Right.

> -- but still I only get to 1974 files matching *.ppc.rpm. There are
> only 3004 files in total.
>
> Perhaps he has a slightly fresher mirror,

Or perhaps Mr. Right has an old one?

> _and_ we've added seventy-odd packages recently, _and_ he was
> listing all files instead of only the 32-bit packages.

He certainly knows how to add (but how about Mr. Right, who "forgets"
sbin, devel and that there is Core and Extras?). Itneresting
nitpicking anyway for someone who was off in his numbers by factors
from 2 to 15.

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 07:32:15PM +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> # cd /storage/public/mirror/download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/ppc/os/Fedora; ls *.ppc.rpm | wc -l
> 3076

If that doesn't count as showing, I wonder what does. Does Mr. Right
read the mail he replies to at all?

> But it doesn't matter -- I've already accepted his estimate of 14%,
> which is fairly much in line with my own estimate and dramatically less
> than his original "almost all specfiles" nonsense.

The nonsense (since Mr. Right continues to be offensive in language)
is Mr. Right's mixing of statements to his liking.

Original: "packages carrying bin parts are the majority"
	  "14% are those packages that carry both bin and lib components"

So Mr. Right manages to compare apple and oranges, which is nonsense. QED.

Let me summarize:

o sloppy to bogus stats and metric
o misquoting
o vulgar talking

are Mr. Right's contribution for a long-term, not short-sighted
solution for the multilib problem.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net