[Minimizing Fedora] Langpacks for Firefox.

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at seznam.cz
Fri Apr 27 19:10:03 UTC 2007

Hans de Goede napsal(a):
> Matthias Clasen wrote:
>>> Does that the reason not to splitting Firefox? I think it's only the
>>> evidence that someone doesn't know something about macros in rpm
>>> configs. )
>>>
>>> Take a look at %_install_langs macro - we can control installing
>>> langpacks using it but not in case of firefox.
>>
>> So, this is just a request to add proper %lang annotations to the
>> firefox file lists ?
>>

> Yes and no, Peter's original request really was for seperate (sub)
> packages. But Peter's problem can be solved too (and probably better) by
> adding proper
> %lang annotations to the firefox file lists. This all AFAIK.
>
> Regards,
>
> Hans
>
> --

I'd like to add my 2$ as well to this issue.. so.. We have usual OSS
applications that handle locales via *.po/*.mo files. These can (and must) be
handled in spec file. I don't have any problems with this. But firefox is
different. Far different. First, it ships langpacks separately from main
programme, in *.xpi files. Second, Firefox's langpacks are extensions not proper
locale AFAIK. So if yum and anaconda could be patched to install desired
langpacks for applications like OOo and FF that could have it splitted into
separate packages automatically then I think Firefox's langpacks should be in
separated packages. If we don't have this functionality we should stick with
langpacks inside the main package - but IMO that is not a good solution. Just
because they are handled as extensions by upstream they should be handled as
extensions in fedora as well. I don't see any technical or other reason which
would block this.

Thanks,
Martin