asm3 [Was: Jpackage: follow or lead?]

Jerry James loganjerry at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 18:30:04 UTC 2007

Thanks for the quick reply, Fernando.

On 8/22/07, Fernando Nasser <fnasser at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi Jerry,
>
> Jerry James wrote:
> > Whether those changes affect any particular application will require
> > examining that application, of course.  In my case, I want to get
> > findbugs [1] into Fedora, but current findbugs uses ASM 3.0, hence
> > this thread.  Permaine is working on getting the current jpackage.org
> > asm2 package into Fedora, but there doesn't seem to be anyone working
> > on ASM 3.0.
> >

> I think it is just because nobody asked for it I guess...  findbugs uses
> bcel in the JPP build.
>
> BTW, why not using bcel?

The JPP build of findbugs is at version 0.9.6, before ASM support was
added.  The current version is 1.2.1.  Building a current findbugs
successfully will require one of the following:

(1) Use the ASM jars that come with findbugs to build and either:
    (a) Install the ASM jars as part of the findbugs package until somebody
        complains; or
    (b) Don't install the ASM jars and somehow advertise that ASM support
        doesn't work so you'd better use BCEL
(2) Patch findbugs to rip out all references to ASM.
(3) Get ASM 3.0 into Fedora first.

I think that (3) is the best option.

> > Yes.  My worry is that with the current naming scheme, we will find
> > ourselves making asm3 packages now, asm4 packages next year, asm5
> > packages after that, etc.  I would think it would be better to have an
> > asm-3.0 package now, and compat-asm-2.x versions if needed.  However,
> > that runs contrary to the jpackage naming scheme.
> >

> It wil all depend on upstream projects upgrading from asm 1.x and 2.x I
> guess, of some of us patching them to use the newer version instead.
>
> I'd still say we add an asm3 to JPP and import it in here.

Okay.

> Let me see if I can build asm3
>
> But I stil wonder why not use bcel, which we already have?

Answered above.

> BTW, have you looked at the findbugs package in JPP 5.0?

Likewise.  Thanks,
--
Jerry James
http://loganjerry.googlepages.com/