When bumping tcl...

Michael Thomas wart at kobold.org
Fri Feb 2 18:29:51 UTC 2007

Sander Hoentjen wrote:
> Thomas wrote:
>> This leads me to a related issue:
>>
>> Tcl searches for packages in 3 directories:
>>   * /usr/share/tcl8.5
>>   * /usr/share
>>   * /usr/lib
>>
>> The search algorithm involves going into each subdirectory of these
> three directories, looking for a file named 'pkgIndex.tcl', and then
> reading it.  Since there are quite a few subdirectories in /usr/share
> and /usr/lib that aren't tcl-related, this results in a lot of wasted
> time and effort.
>> To fix, the default value for 'auto_path' in Tcl needs to be reduced to
> 2 directories:  /usr/lib{64}/tcl8.x and /usr/share/tcl8.x.  My informal
> tests have shown that this can reduce the initial load time for Tcl
> scripts from 3.7s to 0.2s.
> Although I am not a tcl maintainer, I would like to say that this sounds
> like a very good idea to me. It will probably create some breakage
> (packages that have to be updated), so we should do it sooner rather then
> later to have it working perfectly by the time Fedora 7 comes out. I can't
> see any downsides except for the fact that it will be a tad more difficult
> to get non-fedora packaged packages to work.
>
> Would it be ok to already change my tcl packages to go to
> /usr/lib{64}/tcl8.x ?
> This will not affect anything at all, except for reduced polution of libdir.

This should be fine since the current package path for Tcl will find
these in /usr/lib{64}/tcl8.x.

If these are noarch packages, however, you should use /usr/share/tcl8.x.
  Even though /usr/lib/tcl8.x is currently a symlink to
/usr/share/tcl8.x, this may change in the future if we ever properly
separate arch-specific and noarch packages.

--Wart