Disttag for Fedora 7 and beyond

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Fri Jan 5 20:20:08 UTC 2007

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 20:32:45 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:

> > > What makes you say this? How about epoch of the perl package itself?
> >
> > It is specific to the RPM package, not defined by Perl at all.
> >
> > > They very much define the ABI/API in this case by themselves.
> >
> > There is no Epoch in Perl's versioning scheme. Not in the old one,
> > and not in the new one either.
>
> Ehem, perl itself is currently at epoch 4.

Perl itself isn't, the RPM package in FC6 is "perl <= 4:5.8.8".

> Any package that needs to
> define that it needs a specific range of perl ABI/API to work
> with/build against needs to know the version-epoch mapping history of
> perl or to reply on artificially virtual provides.

You build against a single target. In FC6 it's Perl v5.8.8.  Its API/ABI
is defined by its version and in detail by a lot of stuff in the
"Provides". The Epoch of the RPM package has nothing to do with that.

> > Why do you want to add Epochs to versioned Perl dependencies?
>
> I don't, but if there are such I have to. Say for example that xmltv
> depends on perl(Lingua::Preferred) >= 0.2.4.  If perl-Lingua-Preferred
> had an epoch the above check would need to get this epoch added and
> properly maintained by humans or machines.

Why? You want 'perl(Lingua::Preferred) >= 0.2.4', and either your
build/target environment provides this version or not.