Co-maintainersip policy for Fedora Packages

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Jan 24 19:08:45 UTC 2007

seth vidal schrieb:
> Comaintainership - an alternate policy suggestion:
>
> 1. two(or more) people maintain the package
> 2. they talk to each other if there is a conflict
> 3. if there is a big conflict and they can't work it out, they talk to
> fesco for resolution
> 4. no more rules after this are needed
>
> Seriously - why not just make it simple and have all other things
> resolved like we would resolve normal conflicts?

That's basically what we always had. Only a small number of people used it.

> Why all the overhead of rules early?

Well, my proposal is not that much more comlicated:

All packages in Fedora Extras shall normally be maintained by a group of
maintainers. Each package normally should have at least three
maintainers in total. There is one primary maintainer and a primary
maintainer per distribution release (both often will be identical); he
should have at least one co-maintainer per release.

Maintainers and sponsors are encouraged to use co-maintainership to
educate new contributors an help them getting involved and integrated
into the Project. Maintainers should hand over packages to
co-maintainers when they have lots of packages to improve the quality,
share the load and get people involved.

All the other stuff is just meant "why we need it with some more details"

CU
th