Co-maintainersip policy for Fedora Packages

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Fri Jan 26 14:41:32 UTC 2007

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 20:21 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>
>> I think we've already reached the point where we need to get new people
>> into the game via co-maintainership.
>
> Exactly.

I'm not sure this follows.

Is the true statement, "we need to get new people into the game via
co-maintainership"?  Or is it, "we need to get new people into the game"?

These are two different statements.

===

So let me approach this from a different tack.  I think we've got two
major issues to resolve:

1. Making it crystal clear what packages need help, in whatever category:
orphaned, possibly orphaned, poorly maintained, on a wish list.

2. Making it dead easy for new packages to contribute.  At this point,
I think this means *actively* training packagers.

I think we're trying to solve problem 2 with co-maintainership -- and I
don't think that's necessarily the right approach.

What about an IRC teach-in?  What if we had a couple of packagers who,
once a month or so, took a couple of hours to run a packaging tutorial in
real time?

--g