qemu optflags

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Wed Jan 31 16:08:37 UTC 2007

DW> Qemu is, as stated, a pain in the arse. It's _very_ dependent on
DW> compiler output, because of the way it takes 'snippets' of code
DW> from tiny functions and uses those as the building blocks for its
DW> translation.

I think the qemu spec is very clean; the only thing it's really
lacking is a bit of comment explaining why it has to use the -compat
compiler.

How about something like this?

# At this time, GCC4 is simply not compatible with the way qemu works,
# so the compat-gcc-XX compiler must be used.  This also requires that
# $RPM_OPT_FLAGS not be used, because some of those flags are not
# compatible with the version of the compiler that compat-gcc-XX
# provides.

And as for the meta-discussion here, I think it's important to realize
that there's always going to be some package that's a legitimate
exception to just about any guideline.  As long as this stuff is
accepted by review (or by committee where necessary) and properly
documented in the specfile then everything should be fine.

 - J<