Pushing updates for Fedora 7

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat Jun 2 01:46:38 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 17:16 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 01.06.2007 16:01, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > [...]
> > Anybody being intimate with a SW probably is able to provide a case to
> > expose a bug - So, what kind of additional quality would "testing"
> > provide? I don't see any.
>
> * different users use software differently and thus hit different bugs
users != testers

> * some bugs might be arch specific -- I assume only a few of our
> packagers have access to all the archs we support to test their packages
> (especially when soon more arch come into the mix, which looks likely)
Exactly. But a handful (or fewer) testers never reach the amount of
testing mass exposure does.

It the reason why so many kernel bugs exists: Neither upstream
maintainers or @RH maintainers nor testers can test their setup.
A handful of testers more doesn't help.

> * some (¹) packagers test (²) a update only on one distribution and
> build the software for different distributions -- there is a chance that
> a bug happens only on one, but not on the others
Yes, such situations are exist (I presume them to be the standard), but
does a handful/few "testers", who have no clue about a package nor use
for a package change anything about this?

They might be able to find a very obvious bug 2 days earlier than mass
exposure would, but they never will be able to find the bug which kills
a system in specific setups.

I've tripped such "testers scenarios" too often to find it useful.

Ralf