Pushing updates for Fedora 7

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sun Jun 3 14:48:52 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-06-03 at 10:27 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sunday 03 June 2007 10:12:49 Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > IMO, this has to be balanced on a case by case basis.

> But all in all I definitely agree this has to be a case by case issue, one
> that is hopefully discussed within releng and the security team.
Let me put it this way:

In any case an automated check should be implemented (Wrt. EVRs it must
already be present somewhere), but it would at least have to notify the
maintainer:
"Your rpm is breaking EVRs x,y,z ... Release anyway?"

Unless a security issue is too severe and if build-times are in
"feasible orders" (say 2-3 hrs - Which I would expect to apply to the
vast majority of packages) a maintainer should very carefully consider
whether he really needs to push a packages "RSN", or whether he should
take care about the breakages he is causing (Automated rebuilds of
breaking packages would be an option if wanting to drive this to
extremes)

Ralf