use disttag ".1" for devel to avoid confusion

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Mon Jun 4 20:09:05 UTC 2007

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> On 04.06.2007 16:13, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Brian Pepple wrote:
>>> This is on FESCo's schedule to discuss after F7 was released.
>> Note that this has caused mass confusion as I thought it would. It is
>> not just about technical requirements.
>
> The idea to use ".1" as disstag for devel (discusses weeks ago) still
> stands.
>
> The idea in short: x.1 is higher then x.fc7 and avoid the confusion if a
> package doesn't get rebuild during a devel cycle; and if there later is
> a update after releases x simply gets increased -- so there would no
> need to got for "x.2".
>
> I can outline the idea further if anybody is interested.

This is trying to work around a perceived problem by inventing a new
problem.

I've seen bugs filed on packagers for not using the disttag before.  We
should not encourage disttag everywhere, only where it makes sense.  If
packages don't get updated once between releases, maybe the disttag is
not useful for that package and it's usage ought to be _dis_couraged in
this situation.