use disttag ".1" for devel to avoid confusion

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Jun 5 09:45:41 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 04:32 -0400, Christopher Aillon wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> >> Why is it better with a disttag, out of curiosity?
> > In many cases it's: Though spec files are identical the contents of the
> > binary rpms aren't. directories change (e.g. %_*dir), deps change etc.
>
> You're missing the point.

I think, I am not ...

>   If a package is only updated e.g. once a
> year, and that one update is only for e.g. glibc ABI changes -- guess
> what, ABI in a release (Zod, Moonshine, etc) isn't changing so there's
> no need to rebuild that.

The %dist tags assure a steady upgrade path on packages' EVRs between
distros. ABI's, API or SONAME changes etc. are not connected to %dist at
all. It's mere maintainer's convenience wrt. EVR consistency, nothing
else.

>   Just bump in rawhide and rebuild there.
> disttag doesn't gain you anything here in the branches.
Right, but it does when upgrading older distros.

Eg. say, you released package-0.9-1 in FC6 and package-1.0-1 in FC-7.
Applying your rationale, package-1.0 must use package-1.0-2 in rawhide,
otherwise the upgrade path from FC7->FC8 is not assured.

Now, a critical bug has been discovered in package-0.9, and upstream
advises to upgrade to package-1.0.
To be able to do so for FC6, you'll have to use a release number < 1
(otherwise the upgrade path from FC6->FC7 won't work).

Using %dist for FC7 would have allowed to you to simply drop you
package.spec from FC7 into FC6 and rebuild == convenience.

Now, this doesn't make much of a difference when maintaining "a few
packages", but it does when maintaining several dozens.

Also the "update" strategy a maintainer applies makes a difference, e.g.
wrt. perl packages, bug fixes usually are provided by upstream (CPAN).
I.e. the usual perl update/bug-fixing strategy is to upgrade older
packages to newer versions.

Here, %dist is a massive relief to maintain specs, because each the
perl-installation directories diverge between releases.

It's the same wrt. your packages, e.g. there would not be any EVR probs
with your firefox packages if you'd apply %dist.

Ralf