Disttags are nice, save the disttags

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Jun 5 09:58:59 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 11:16 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:

> Let's revert the question: "Why is it better without a disttag, out of
> curiosity?". There is definitely a gain with a disttag, one can argue
> how big it is, but what are the drawbacks?
Exactly. At least to me both as a maintainer and as user the pros by way
outweigh the cons.

So far, the only "con" I came across is lack of clear conventions on
%release in those (rare) occasions a package's EVR has to walk
"sideways" (X.fcN -> X.fcN.1, X.fcN.2).

> Bottom points:
> o full rebuilds should become a must
Well, I can only reiterate what I said before: IMO, "full rebuilds" are
a hoax blending yourself unless they are performed in "sorted order"
and a PITA to maintainers unless they are performed automatically.

> o disttags are helpful either way
Right.

Ralf