Pushing updates for Fedora 7

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Tue Jun 5 20:27:19 UTC 2007

On Friday, 01 June 2007 at 15:29, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Friday 01 June 2007 08:58:06 Hans de Goede wrote:
> > I _really_ see no use for new packages being in updates-testing, this only
> > makes the process to get new packages into Fedora one step longer, which
> > makes it less attractive to add new packages, without giving anything
> > substantial in return. Remember new packages have just been thoroughly
> > vetted during review and are already installed and run by the reviewer.
>
> Look, you're adding a new package to a stable platform.  The review most
> likely focused on devel, where you can get your instant gratification.

I beg to differ here. All my reviews were done on latest release, NOT devel.
devel was only used for mockbuilds.

[...]
> And you know what, adding software to a stable platform _should_ be a bit
> harder.  We don't want to just chuck every new package that tickles our fancy
> at the released products, especially as many of the maintainers are working
> on rawhide and not on the past release, or the past release -1.

You say they are working on rawhide... but I see a different image. My
maintainer colleagues and I work on past release, NOT rawhide.

>  These
> packages to stable platforms deserve extra scrutiny and extra care as to not
> destabilize a release and feed to the negative impressions of Fedora as
> nothing but a perpetual beta.

It'd be difficult to beat Gentoo. ;)

Regards,
R.