Plan for tomorrow's (20070604) Release Engineering meeting

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Wed Jun 6 00:25:35 UTC 2007

> Josh Boyer wrote:
>
> > How would pushing that out have helped?
> >
> > You need to manually enable the development repos.  Pushing an updated
> > fedora-release for F7 would have marked fedora-development.repo
> > as .rpmnew but that wouldn't be picked up by yum.
>
> Couldn't the package be change to disable the development repo?  I think
>   that's what would be useful in this particular instance. Other
> possibilities though possibly not as effective include adding a
> different package that turns off devel repository or adding a yum
> distribution upgrade command that increments that does this job.

Um... no.  Because enabling development in the first place is a manual
step.  They are config files.  Pushing a release version of
fedora-release that blindly turned that off would violate the "don't
change users configs if they are modified" rule.  And it would piss off
the rawhide users that actually _want_ to remain on rawhide and help
test the next release of Fedora.

Seriously, using rawhide is a manual choice that has to be made and if
you want to undo that, it should be manual as well.

josh