Broken libcurl.so.3 dependency

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Wed Jun 6 08:32:04 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 09:41 +0200, Jindrich Novy wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 02:25 -0400, Braden McDaniel wrote:
> > I maintain a package that links to libcurl, openvrml-player. A recent
> > curl update changed the library version from libcurl.so.3 to
> > libcurl.so.4. yum installed this update (on Fedora 7) without squawking.
>
> curl-7.16.1 and newer which bumps soname to libcurl.so.4 has been around
> for a while (since Jan 29 2007) and all of the packages, I was aware of,
> dependent on libcurl.so.3 were rebuilt prior to F7 release. I haven't
> released any curl update to F7 yet.

openvrml-player-0.16.4-2.fc7--which shows a build date of May 2,
2007--depends on libcurl.so.3.

> > Either I've done something wrong in the spec file for openvrml, or...
> > something worse. Can anyone shed some light on this?
>
> I don't know how openvrml is dependent on libcurl, but just rebuild
> should help here as the API hasn't been changed much by the upstream.
> (only some obsolete and compatibility symbols removed)

I know; and a new release of openvrml is in testing. (Any way I can
expedite getting this pushed to updates?)

The point was, Why is my system in this state?

It may be the case that I didn't get libcurl via an update; rather, it
got upgraded from the DVD by the Fedora 7 installer. In this sort of
situation, I'm not sure what's supposed to happen.

--
Braden McDaniel                           e-mail: <braden at endoframe.com>
<http://endoframe.com>                    Jabber: <braden at jabber.org>