naming scheme for fonts packages?

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Fri Mar 9 00:20:44 UTC 2007

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> IMHO (which if worth what it's worth) you're not packaging generic fonts
> for tibetan but a specific font project, and it deserves name recognition
> just like any other upstream. So upstreamname-fonts seems more respectful
> for me.

Then a followup question: if there is only 1 (truetype) font in a font
package should the package name be "upstreamname-fonts" or
"upstreamname-font"? :)

The latter seems semantically more logical, the former more
syntactically consistent.  It is easy to search for /most/ fonts
packages now with "rpm -qa '*fonts*'", but on the other hand it is a bit
strange to call something *-fonts if it only contains a single font?  So
which gives? :)

Any comments on this?

Thanks, Jens

ps I guess another aspect is one can never be sure that a project with
one font now, in the future will not have more than one, or vice versa
even.  (Debian uses package names like "ttf-name" for truetype fonts.)