[Guidelines Change] Conflicts

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Mon May 7 21:15:24 UTC 2007

I've used versioned Conflicts: on other subpackages of my own package.
This is necessary because versioned Requires: don't take arch into account,
and so don't do everything right in multilib situations.

Can the guidelines suggest how to address this?

e.g. elfutils-libs has:

Conflicts: elfutils-devel < %{version}-%{release}
Conflicts: elfutils-devel > %{version}-%{release}

Originally elfutils-devel just had:

Requires: elfutils-libs = %{version}-%{release}

But this doesn't make sure both upgrades happen on a biarch system.
This is all because RPM doesn't support:

Requires: elfutils-libs = %{version}-%{release}.%{arch}

or some syntax with the semantics that implies.

The only other way I know that might fix this is:

Provides: elfutils-libs-%{arch} = %{version}-%{release}

and:

Requires: elfutils-libs-%{arch} = %{version}-%{release}

But I have not tried this and the Conflicts: method is what I've been using
for a few releases.

Lines, give me guidance!

Thanks,
Roland