Deep Freeze coming for Fedora 7 (and cvs branching coming too)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue May 15 17:26:13 UTC 2007

On 15.05.2007 19:15, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Tue, 15 May 2007 12:59:51 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> On Tuesday 15 May 2007 12:31:00 Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>> I disagree. Release early, release often is a feature, now you are
>>> spoiling one of the fundamental working principles of Fedora.
>>> We will see and I'll be delighted to be proven wrong, but I have seen
>>> too many project failing because some "test/release engineers" throught
>>> they could outweigh the "testing capability of the masses".
>> Yeah, our users just want to continue seeing Fedora as one big beta for RHEL
>> right?  Who cares if we toss half-ass packages over the wall and it breaks
>> for large majorities of our userbase.  We'll just fix it soon enough and
>> they'll deal right?  Who cares about the stability of our distribution.
>> </sarcasm>
> Eh? What has this comment to do here? Or have you realised that too many
> users are burnt by the frequent updates and upgrades that are pushed out
> to Fedora Core 5 and Fedora Core 6? That is the #1 complaint by users who
> have wandered off to Ubuntu, for example. Released Updates which break
> something badly.  [...]

I agree that we to often released packages that broke stuff. I hope that
gets better with bodhi (and the QA around it) in the merged world.

But I'm confident that lots of users like Fedora (or might even have
switched from Ubuntu to Fedora) because we serve updates for released
distribution that bring new features or better hardware support.

Especially the latter is something where Fedora with its frequent
kernels updates as well as updates for Sane or X give users with brand
new hardware a chance to run it with Linux -- the other bigs distros
fail to serve something similar afaics.

Cu
thl