Deep Freeze coming for Fedora 7 (and cvs branching coming too)

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Tue May 15 17:35:04 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 19:02 +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 12:11:05PM -0400, Will Woods wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 17:00 +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
>
> > We will have to work slightly harder in order to Do The Right Thing for
> > our users, to ensure package sanity and overall distribution stability.
> > Those are our goals, and I hope you'll agree that they're worth working
> > for.
>
> Indeed, but it isn't the point. Sometimes doing the right thing is not
> losing time when there are better things to work on.

So, what I hear you saying is that - regardless of whether users want it
or not - it's not worth *your* time to fill in the blanks on a short
message saying:

  package-1.2.3-4.fc7 is a (bugfix,enhancement,security) update
  which (adds the following features, fixes the following bugs):

We could even auto-fill the message from the changelog entries. Or..
maybe you also have better things to work on than adding changelog
entries to your RPMS?

How about comments? Maybe I think I have better things to do than to
comment my code. Documentation, too.

Look, here's the bottom line: people want to know what's changed when
you update packages on their systems. We can work together to make it
easy for you to provide this information. Let's work together to make
the infrastructure better rather than just refusing to use it.

-w