Offering packages for co-maintenance or adoption

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed May 16 16:57:33 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 16:52 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Wed, 16 May 2007 14:22:30 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
> > I would have added you as co-maintainer of cvsutils in owners.list
> > but apparently the procedures outlined on
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/OrphanedPackages?action=show&redirect=Extras%2FOrphanedPackages
> > also do not apply anymore:
>
> 1) There has never been a separate Wiki page that covers owners.list.
True. But I searched the wiki on "owners" because I had wanted to find
out the current way of changing owner and found the page above.

> 2) That you find the OrphanedPackages page during your search for
> documentation on how to add package co-maintainers or new maintainers
> adds confirmation for 1).
True, when I found it, the page contained this:

 1. Edit '''owners.list''' in Fedora Package CVS and set the
''initialowner'' field of your package to
''extras-orphan[AT]fedoraproject.org'' e-mail address (substitute the
[AT] appropriately).

This matched with what had been doing ever since FE had existed.

> 3) The Fedora Extras community used to be able to control their packages,
> including package ownership, co-ownership, and orphans. We used to be
> able to handle all that ourselves. But recently, a cage has been set up
> for the monkeys.
<sigh/> Yes, this incident makes it apparent what certain circles think
about the community.

>  Look in the list archives (February 20th), the message
> with the subject "Orphanizing the OrphanedPackages Wiki page") is the
> announcement that the page is unmaintained.

<sigh> And the page had not be updated. I'd really appreciate some
professionalism and some people exhibiting responsibility. </sigh>

Ralf