Updates System

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Wed May 16 17:13:52 UTC 2007

Hans de Goede wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 00:32 -0400, Warren Togami wrote:
>>> Today Core updates happen using this update system.  It is a smooth
>>> and formal process.
>> 0) maintainer tests package's  functionality.
>>> 1) Maintainer checks changes into CVS branch.
>>> 2) Maintainer builds.
>>> 3) Maintainer tests that build.
>>> 4) Maintainer fills out the form with the N-V-R, optional security
>>> (yes/no), optional Bug numbers fixed, and some fills in some details
>>> of what the update is about, then chooses updates or updates-testing.
>>> 5) Submit, where security and/or rel-eng team pushes it through.
>>
>> Now where in this scheme is Will Woods? I don't see him testing
>> anything. All I see is more bureaucracy and more manual steps than
>> before.
>>

> As someone who maintains 125+ packages, I would like to show some
> support for Ralf's point of view. I'm very proud of the fact that I not
> only maintain 125+ packages, but also have 0 yes _zero_ open bugs
> against them (most of the time),
> call me Hans "zero open bugs" de Goede if you want :)
>
> However sometime real life intervenes and I cannot work on Fedora stuff
> for a couple of days, when I then return to doing Fedora work, murphy
> kicks in and I all off a sudden have 5 issues requesting my attention
> (for some reason issues always come in bumps instead of as a steady
> trickle), usually resulting in me pushing 4 a 5 bugfix updates in a
> single day.
>
> Thus I would like to voice my concern over the web-form part of this.
> Preferably this would be handled in the makefile and when typing "make
> build" for a non-devel branch my $EDITOR would get launched opening a
> pre-filled template update anouncement, where I can add the necessary
> bits, and then upon saving this gets automatically entered into the
> updates system.

I agree that it can become problematic in the web form part of this.  I
think we will extend this to allow batch functionality possibly with a
command line based tool.  I believe that would dramatically shrink the
time requirements and mitigate the concerns here.  That being said, we
wont have it immediately.

Please reserve judgment until you actually see the system in action?  I
suspect you wont find it to be so bad.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com