Plan for tomorrows (20070517) FESCO meeting

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Thu May 17 01:04:42 UTC 2007

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 15:11 -0400, Brian Pepple wrote:
>
>> You want something to be discussed? Send a note to the list in reply to
>> this mail and I'll add it to the schedule (I can't promise we will get
>> to it tomorrow, but we'll most likely will if we don't run out of time).
>> You can also propose topics in the meeting while it is in the "Free
>> discussion around Fedora" phase.
>
> I think we need to discuss whether the Packaging Guidelines are only
> Guidelines or if they're Rules.  If the latter, whether we're willing to
> take any actions to enforce them.  If turnout is light, I don't expect
> us to make any decisions but we can't continue to debate whether it's
> okay to "bypass the guidelines".  We have to know what standing they
> have.

My personal opinion...

Guidelines should be VERY STRONG SUGGESTIONS.  Any deviation from the
guidelines should be rare, and better have a damned good reason, tracked
someplace that is easy to find.

In most cases deviations from guidelines are due to cases that are
poorly or not defined in the guidelines.  Such cases should be studied
to see if the guidelines can be amended to define and control such cases
in the future.

In the end, FESCo should have the ability to overrule a deviation and
force compliance in any individual case.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com