Plan for tomorrows (20070517) FESCO meeting

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Thu May 17 15:18:34 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 17:36 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> I think we need to discuss whether the Packaging Guidelines are only
> Guidelines or if they're Rules.  If the latter, whether we're willing
> take any actions to enforce them.  If turnout is light, I don't expect
> us to make any decisions but we can't continue to debate whether it's
> okay to "bypass the guidelines".  We have to know what standing they
> have.

Don't enable the rule police.  Guidelines are "best form" but I don't
think they need to be enforced to the level where it becomes crazy.
Remember, we are here to enable developers so we need to be reasonable
people.  (An exception process?  Come. On.)

Honestly, I believe that this decision right here determines if we turn
into structure for structure's sake or we turn into something that is
open to developers.

We need to stick to the middle ground here.  Guidelines, not rules.

--Chris