5/16/2007 Broken upgrade paths in F7

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu May 17 17:37:22 UTC 2007

On 17.05.2007 19:15, Till Maas wrote:
> On Do Mai 17 2007, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>
>> In addition to what spot said: On the last FUDCon we discussed kernel
>> module packaging with some people. The outcome roughly was to work on a
>> new kernel module packaging standard solves both problems: create
>> pre-compiled kernel-module packages that can be put in a repo for users
>> to install; in addition create a dkms/dkms-like solution as rpm in the
>> repo that users *can* install that will to get their modules rebuild for
>> the current kernel (on boot?) *if* it's not available .
>
> With a simple patch to dkms (don't know, whether or not it is required), that
> makes dkms only compile a new module, when there is none installed, this is
> already possible.

We don't want to maintain two codepaths, as that complicates maintenance
and often results in bugs in one of them.

Thus we IMHO should either use dkms within the buildsys to build the
binary and the kernel-specific dkms rpms, or create a spec file that can
be used in the buildsys as well as by dkms or a dkms like solution to
create proper rpms on the user side.

CU
thl