[SPAM] Re: Plan for tomorrows (20070524) FESCO meeting

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Thu May 24 12:20:43 UTC 2007

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 08:11:49PM -0400, Brian Pepple wrote:

> /topic FESCo meeting -- Free discussion around Fedora

I'd like to ask FESCO to acknowledge or criticise 2 deviations from the
guideline rules for the cernlib

* paw is linked statically against the cern libraries. Otherwise it
  fails on 64 bit platforms

* I ship the static libs in the -devel package. In general I think it is
  bad, but in the case of the cernlib there are 2 arguments in favor of
  doing that:
   - on 64 bit platforms linking dynamically results in failures (like
     in the paw case)
   - the script used to drive the link against the cern libraries link
     statically against those libs (but dynamically against other
     libs). This is linked with the above issue, of course, and I also
     think that the cernlib users are waiting for static libs rather
     than shared ones because that's the only libs upstream propose.
     Having shared libs has been added by debian (and a recent upstream
     release didn't include this change). It may also help solve issues
     with programs portability linked with the shift from g77 to
     gfortran.

More information on
http://people.debian.org/~kmccarty/cernlib/faq.html#33

--