Someone's missing the point...

Marc Wiriadisastra marc.w at smlintl.com.au
Thu Aug 11 07:45:27 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 03:36 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
>
> > Do you feel that yum is ready to work as fast or regarding dependancies
> > ready to handle a one-cd situation?  I've used both yum and apt and it
> > seems that apt with rpms is still more efficient in processing the data
> > required.  Maybe thats just me I'm not sure.
> >
> > I personally believe a 1 cd install is a must since most people always
> > complain of the 'bloatedness' of Fedora.  They always point to ubuntu as
> > say thats what it needs to be like fast and efficient.
> >
> > I can see their point if they are a desktop user however I don't see
> > their point if they want to setup a server.  I personally always
> > download the dvd's for the pure sake that its one cd and its got
> > everything I personally need on it.
>
> Well, a "desktop" should easily fit on a single CD, and yes,
> that's really what we want.  BTW, I've been always wondering:  do
> all these people that like single CDs have broadband to download
> hundreds of megs of extra stuff?  Or they do not anything that is
> not on the CD?

I know for me and most of the linux users in Australia we all have
broadband so the majority of install on debian for instance are done
through our local mirrors since there is a peering arrangement and we
get faster speeds.

At the moment for instance we have ADSL 2 specs over here so for me
someone 3.5 km from the exchange I can download at 3500kb which means a
net install cd for me would be great.  On top of that imo you would
automatically get the latest programs and you wouldn't have to
re-download all the updates after its installed.

Regards

Marc