Someone's missing the point...it's us.

Stuart Ellis stuart at elsn.org
Fri Aug 12 16:18:01 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 10:25 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:

> And this is the elephant in the room.  Fedora has its current reputation
> among many folks -- "dumping ground for unstable crap" -- because it is
> the message that Red Hat initially *gave* about Fedora in order to
> distinguish between "supported" and "not supported".  In those first scary
> days after the split, we might as well have put biohazard labels in the
> ransom notes: "NOT FOR SERIOUS USE!  ABORT, ENTERPRISE USER, ABORT!"

Very much so...there's not a lot of positive talking points around, just
negatives, and so those are what people repeat.  The words "support" and
"stability" also seem to cause a lot of confusion when they are used,
regardless of the intent.  Perhaps marketing material should use
different terms to differentiate things like API stability vs.
five-nines stability, vs. not crashing in normal use ?

> But again, "why Fedora"?  For those who are not already converted, it's
> the most important question we can answer, and as Paul points out, we're
> not currently doing a very good job of it.

It might be worth thinking about it in terms of use cases.  It's easy
for other people to say that "Debian stable is for your servers" or
"Ubuntu is great for your desktops".  But, "Fedora is for ???"

For what it's worth, I advocate Fedora as the best distribution for
teaching and learning Linux - easy setup to get you going, config tools
that don't interfere with CLI use, cutting edge tech without being
unstable, everything you learn on your PC transferable to RHEL/CentOS on
Serious Enterprise Hardware.

--

Stuart Ellis

stuart at elsn.org

GPG key ID: 7098ABEA
GPG key fingerprint: 68B0 E291 FB19 C845 E60E  9569 292E E365 7098 ABEA