Wording of Legal Issues myth

Alex Maier lxmaier at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 15:10:53 UTC 2005

On 8/21/05, Thierry Sayegh <linux at glossolalie.org> wrote:
> You need to consider the user that is willing to move towards these open
> sets of technology but does not have the knowledge as-yet.
> If you block him/her from using his/her current files, you will drive
> the said user away. where is good will? How do you convert them?

True.
This is why we can point to pages that will help them, and to
communities not directily associated with us which can provide them
with proprietary plugins.

It does suck big time not to be able to listen to OGG files using my
Palm, and I think instead of concentrating on stuff we cannot
influence (such as existing patents) we should become more active in
the area of spreading the open formats.

Like sit down with folks at Real, and get them to implement OGG codec
into RealOne player by default.

When barriers like this will fall, and when MP3 will not be the only
overwhelmingly supported media format, we will not HAVE to worry about
this stuff anymore.

> It's not conversion if you give them a box and tell them they won't be
> able to use these gazillions of music files they love so much.
> Giving them the ability to use these 'old' files and to create new ones
> with open toolsets, this is the challenge.

It is a great challenge indeed. Oh well, you can't have it all at once.

But if instead of concentrating on ways to circumvent regulations for
our users we spend the same energy on pushing the support open media
formats in all poplular media players by default, such as RealPlayer,
or iPod, etc.--we will eventually achieve more AND make another step
towards freeing the culture.

Visit FUDCon London 2005
http://fedoraproject.org/fudcon

FUDCon: