Logo -- simple, possibly version, repository and internationally-friendly?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Aug 22 06:29:30 UTC 2005

Just joined after finding the logo page here:
  http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing/LogoIdeas

I have to say, the "periodic table of elements" is the most ideal IMHO.
I'll break it down for these reasons, with my noted modifications:

1.  Simple -- simple is good (especially for #4)

NOTE:  I like the slight gradient/3D Diana Fong added

2.  Version - version in the corner

3.  Repository - use a large letter for the repository type (at least in
English -- users of other Latin character set languages should sound
off)

E.g., "C" for Core, "E" for Extras, "L" for Legacy, with the full name
underneath ("Fedora Core", "Fedora Extras", "Fedora Legacy").  We could
even have "3" to _reference_ 3rd parties (although I assume it wouldn't
be for their use under the official trademark guidelines)

4.  Internationally? - easy modified into other languages?

I think the simple design really makes it easy to make it international
without radically changing the same, layout, etc...  Being an ignorant
US American that only speaks English (and poorly at that), I try to be
conscience of these things.

Lastly, and a possible legal consideration:  Since it's modeled after an
entry in the periodic table of elements, it might be immune to some
entity claiming likeness, correct?  Disclaimer:  IANAL

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com