Who's the Fedora user?

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sat Aug 27 16:23:25 UTC 2005

> On 8/24/05, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Since so much effort is going into
> > actually building Fedora specific packages in Extras..I'd rather
> > notify Fedora users of that first and foremost.
>
> And.. while I'm thinking about it.. there is a second-order effect PR
> win here.  An in-distro tool that users can use to watch "interesting"
> additions to Extras gives an easy way for users to watch and be
> excited about the growth of technology IN Fedora. Small reminders to
> people..people like reviewers who sit and play with Fedora on their
> workstation and desktop that this is an active, growing community of
> contributors.

+1

If we had a way to, even manually, parse fresh packages into finer
grains than by comp group, we could have these emails list new packages
by interest.  Maybe not every interest would have something new this
week, but perhaps there's links to all the not-new interests at the
bottom.

I think the flashy icon thing is annoying for me, but works for many.
If that flashy icon was yum (up2date-panel-widget?) so you could grab
the game immediately and, hey, why not get that kernel security update
while you are at it.

- Karsten
                       Red Hat SELinux Guide