the name "fedora"

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sun Jul 3 08:15:04 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-03 at 09:53 +0200, Thilo Pfennig wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 02.07.2005, 18:40 -0400 schrieb seth vidal:
>
> > So yah, we do focus on english, let's not be silly.
>
> Well, then I think Fedora will not be the distribution of my choice,
> because i can not expect things to be translated. A distribution which
> is not commited to localisation has no future

Did you read the rest of my message? Where I said that there are
localization and internationalization development work. Where I mention
that those would not be in english?
All my point was that on the whole the language that all of the
interactions are done in is english. And aside from localized efforts
I'll wish you good luck to find an exception to that rule among the
major linux distributions.

> > The name of the project is fedora. The name is staying and we make do
> > with what we have.
>
> That's extremley arrogant and silly. I just hope that this is only your
> personal opinion.

It's not arrogant at all. In fact it's quite humble. I know I do not
have the authority or power to change the name. I know that changing the
name at this stage in the game is ridiculous. Therefore, I'm not going
to make plans or take actions that rely on the name of the project and
distribution changing.

> > Then the things necessary to make the distro more accessible aren't to
> > be discussed on this list. Discuss them on fedora-desktop-list and
> > fedora-devel-list.
>
> Ok, you don't want to dicuss marketing. Marketing is dicussed in
> fedora-desktop-list? So what is discussed in marketing? The desktop
> usage?

You said that the things necessary to make fedora accessible were
applications and ease of use. That's not about marketing. You don't
write applications or make it easier to use on the marketing list.

> You think involvment is made easy if people like make a lot of taboos
> not to be discussed. Until today I considered Fedora to be the
> distribution I would like to stick and promote for many purposes (as
> basis for Gnome LiveCD for instance). I think I have to reconsider that,
> if you are not alone with you opinion.

What on earth are you talking about? Did you read my messages at all?

I said that discussion of application development and ease of use don't
belong on the marketing list. I specifically pointed to where those
discussions would be considered on topic.

Can you really not see the difference b/t a technical discussion about
livecds and a non-technical discussion about the logo of the project?

Are you serious?
-sv