Fedora review

Jeremy Hogan jeremy.hogan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 16:11:57 UTC 2005

On 7/20/05, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/20/05, Thilo Pfennig <tp at alternativ.net> wrote:
> > So like from up2date one could choose: "add
> > external sources". The list could be updated via web - and then there
> > would be no problem, because only the enabling software is distributed.
>
> I think you are wrong about where the grey line is.  My personal
> understanding is that nothing distributed by default can pull  in
> outside package sources to choose from or it has the potential to run
> afoul of the definition of "contributory infringement". You can't have
> up2date or any tool in the distro point to a list of external repos to
> choose from. Just like fedora.redhat.com can not link directly to a
> site like fedoratracker.

Couldn't the user add the repo names themselves? Adding third party
repositories is a legit feature in and of itself, so we could have a
list of repos of official Fedora mirrors and channels like Extras and
Alternatives (and stable/test/release etc), that was autopolulated,
and a field for a user to add other URLs. Then we're just talking
about a GUI for repo management.

--jeremy