mentors

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Jul 28 17:45:37 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 14:36 +0800, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:

> I personally have spent numerous days learning how to build rpm's as well
> as trying to follow the fedora package naming and layout conventions and I
> thought wouldn't that be a great idea.  If someone is interested in
> learning provided they don't waste peoples time by actually WANTING to
> contribute maybe a mentors list go get them from a newbie/basic
> contributor to an active member of the support/devel crew.

This is an interesting idea.

One of the problems facing knowledgeable contributors in mentoring new
contributors is separating the wheat from the chaff on current mailing
lists.  When you do get a chance to mentor, the quality post is easily
lost in the flying chaff around it.

A list that was specifically for mentoring would have all manner of
posts to it, technical, cultural, packaging, why to (v. how to), etc.
However, the purpose for mentors to post would be to grow the knowledge
and culture.  Getting answers in the archives where they can be searched
and understood.

In this case, a requirement (or strong suggestion) of joining the
mentors list is to thumb through the archives.  New contributors who
read the archives can be answering questions for other newbies, thus
carrying on the chain.

Ideally, a normal list should function in this mentoring fashion.  With
such populated and work-intensive lists, however, the mentoring gets
lost.

Another possibility would be, when a mentor-type is posting something to
any list that has good mentoring in it, they are asked to cross-post to
fedora-mentoring-list.  Thus the list becomes a targeted location for
mentoring activity all over the project.

Good idea!

If we work out the details, I'll sponsor starting the list, if you are
interested in helping administrate and promote the idea.

- Karsten
                       Red Hat SELinux Guide