fedoraproject.org

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sun Jun 5 23:55:49 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-05 at 03:39 -0500, Patrick Barnes wrote:
> I have been looking over the many Fedora-related sites and gathering
> information about what is out there and how it is organized.  I have
> been trying to determine what really needs improvement and how that
> improvement can be achieved.  I had some thoughts relating to
> http://fedoraproject.org and posted them to fedora-docs-list, and it was
> suggested that I send them here (fedora-marketing-list) instead.  I have
> also sent this message to Seth Vidal.  Below is an excerpt from my
> original post:
>
> I'm not sure how many people actually use this base URL, but it needs
> some loving.
>
> One idea that I had is that this URL could redirect to
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ and that the Wiki's front page could
> feature all of the existing links, with a brief description.  This would
> allow easier maintenance, and would automagically make the page more
> useful.
>
> With Red Hat announcing the creation of The Fedora Foundation, it seems
> like Fedora's information will eventually move away from
> fedora.redhat.com to its own domain.  I don't know if this would be
> fedoraproject.org or something entirely different.  If the migration is
> to fedoraproject.org, then my above suggestion would not create any
> problems.  Simply removing the redirect and dropping content similar to
> fedora.redhat.com would be acceptable.  The Wiki and the rest of the
> fedoraproject.org hierarchy would not conflict with the content
> currently at fedora.redhat.com, and links could be added to whatever
> main page is at the base URL to direct people to the current
> fedoraproject.org content.  If anyone needs any clarification on my
> thinking, drop me a line.

Here's what I think:
 I agree with you about the fedoraproject.org page needing to be more
useful.

  Put together a prototype for the front page. I think doing it all
exclusively in the wiki will result in a fairly ugly webpage but I'm
open to give it a try.

Set yourself up a wiki account, I'll give you privs to change a page and
you make a 'newfrontpage' page and we'll work from there to see if it
works.

It's a good place to start and if it all looks well I'll do the leg work
to turn it into  the main page.

sound cool?

-sv