My brain dump (i.e. our marketing plan)

Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Thu Jun 9 04:19:24 UTC 2005

If this post is out of place, please forgive me.

>>      * Marketing via a LiveCD - developer's don't find this terribly
>>        useful, but its a great marketing tool. Now, we need to leverage
>>        pushing this towards being done.
>>

>Oh, this is essential.  Anyone who says it's not useful in many ways is
>not on this planet and should be ignored for this subject. ;-P
>
>I know there are technical hurdles and the like, and it must include a
>usable OO.o.  Knoppix STD works great for me personally, but I *know* I
>could convert people if I could just boot Fedora Core on their machines
>in a non-destructive manner.  At US$.015 a live CD, that's some cheap
>propaganda.
>
>- Karsten

I'd like to second Karsten's words on this one.  I use Fedora in a
variety of classes, and I hit newbie questions all the time.  Here are
some big issues:

-- Lack of time to download four or more CD images, burn them, and
resolve any IDE DMA false failures in mediacheck.
-- Fear of corrupting a work PC/laptop/home computer that would be hard
to do without.
-- Residual fear of "blowing up the monitor".  A surprising number of
people I meet have heard such horror stories from long ago.
-- General inability to gain ground and sort through installation
issues.  If you have never seen a UNIX system or Linux before, trying to
navigate through anaconda and (especially) Disk Druid is pretty baffling.

When I started out, I saw a lot of people who had some UNIX experience,
and who wanted to learn (basically) how close Linux comes to behaving
like their venerable OS.  But now, more and more I find students who
have never ever seen a UNIX system.  They want to learn Linux, but
without exposure to UNIX, many concepts are quite foreign.

A live CD for Fedora can help new users avoid a lot of complexity and
frustration while they learn the basics.  I'd love it.

Erik