Attention / Interest / Desire / Action, getfedora.org, or why marketing 'the Fedora project' is a bad idea.

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Sun Jun 19 10:54:25 UTC 2005

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005, seth vidal wrote:

> Pretty positive that we can't change the front page of fedora.redhat.com
> w/o an act of law. :)

Naaah, you don't need an act of law.  You just need an act of gdk, when he
has the time.  ;-)

> > "The Fedora Project is an open source project sponsored by Red Hat and
> > supported by the Fedora community. It is also a proving ground for new
> > technology that may eventually make its way into Red Hat products. It is
> > not a supported product of Red Hat, Inc."
> >
> > So far readers don't know:
> > - That Fedora is a Linux distro, or an Operating System
> > - Why it's good
> > - Where to get it
> > - Where to get help for it
> >
> > They do know:
> > - That its Open Source
> > - That stuff in it may end up in RHEL
> > - That it is not supported by Red Hat
> >
> > Given this, are yous sure fedora.redhat.com is currently focused towards
> > end users?

I think there's some merit to what Mike says here.  We can stand to make
it a little clearer why to use Fedora Core The Operating System.

1. WHY IT'S GOOD.  Because the distro itself is basically an alpha of
RHEL, the most stable Linux distro on Earth, and because the universe of
packages around the distro will get bigger and bigger and bigger and
constantly more useful.

2. WHERE TO GET IT.  A great big GET IT NOW button.

3. WHERE TO GET HELP FOR IT.  A great big COMMUNITY FORUMS link.

So I'm okay with a little rework, if someone's got better wordsmithery
that I can use.

That said:

* Latest Fedora News will stay.

* When the Foundation is established, we'll need to revisit this question
anyway.

* The hard part isn't getting users; it's getting contributors.  I think
that the marketing group should focus on the second objective as much as,
if not more than, the first objective.

--g

                     ] [ dumb.  --mcluhan