Fedora Logo: Modifications to the "f" and color

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Wed Nov 9 18:02:31 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 12:08 -0500, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> Thanks, Matt.
>
> These modifications are what we're going with.  We're in a position now
> where it's time to get on with things.  We'll be seeing new logos on
> fedora.redhat.com and fedoraproject.org as soon as is practicable --
> hopefully within the week.
>
> Some people will love this logo, and some people will hate this logo.
> That's simply the way things work.  I certainly hope that more people love
> it than hate it, but really, it's just a symbol.  What matters is how
> people will feel when they see that symbol.  While the right image can
> help set the tone, that feeling has *much* more to do with how we serve
> the people who use Fedora, and contribute to Fedora.
>
> I'd like to say that we did this "the right way."  I think we did, but
> where there are so many opinions, one never has the luxury of being
> completely sure.  So I'd like to ask some questions of you all, now that
> we're basically at the end of this particular project:
>
> * Should we have gone through more iterations, or would more iterations
> have dragged things out even longer?

I don't think more iterations would necessarily have helped.  But a
broader call to submit logos would have been good.  If people on fedora
forums, etc had been asked if they would like to provide logo samples
before decisions had been made that would have allowed some of these
"popular alternatives" to surface at a point in time when it would have
been useful.

> * Should we have exposed the logo to more people for comment, or should we
> have restricted comment to this list -- which is composed of people who
> clearly take a more active interest in the well-being of Fedora?

Is the logo for the product to represent itself or for the community to
unite under?  I think, in a community project, the logo is something the
community needs to want to associate themselves with.  Do I belong to
the "speech-bubble-infinity-stylized-f-group", the "red-swirl-group", or
the "silver-pacman-group".   So it would been better for the community
to have had a more active role in this particular decision.

-Toshio