Logo lessons

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Thu Nov 10 15:26:45 UTC 2005

To reiterate: the logo is done.  I know that everyone would like "just a
little more time," but a little more time will satisfy no one, because "a
little more time" will not result in substantial changes.  It's time to
put this episode behind us, and figure out what we've learned.

As the new logo continues to make its way through the world, the opinions
will vary widely.  As always, the people who hate the new logo will be the
ones who voice their opinions the loudest.  Get ready to hear that the
logo is a horrorshow, because you'll hear it a lot -- for about a week.

Again: the community will not rally round the flag, or refuse to rally
round the flag, because this logo is or isn't perfect.

They will, however, judge us on how we chose to come up with this logo.

If we made some mistakes, and I believe we did, then we should acknowledge
them.  I think that Jef is correct in his analysis.  In hindsight, we
should have:

  a. Had more than one concept for the community to examine;

  b. Advertised more widely that we were working on the logo -- and
     also, advertising that the place for those logo discussions
     was this mailing list.

So we'll learn those lessons and we'll move forward.

--g

                     ] [ dumb.  --mcluhan