Security features

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Sat Nov 26 15:28:15 UTC 2005

Dawid Gajownik wrote:

> Hi!
>
>     I've been reading recently lwn.net and I've found this article →
> http://lwn.net/Articles/160380/ I knew about this patch restricting
> acces to /dev/mem but I did not know that it prevents rootkits! IMHO
> this should be mentioned in the Release Notes:
> http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc5/test1-latest-en/#sn-security
>

>     Actually, there should be more hype about Fedora's security
> features¹. For instance, FC5 uses Stack Smashing Protector. I think
> that it's worth mentioning it in the Announcement of Fedora Core 5².

Fstack-protector is already mentioned in
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc5/test1-latest-en/#sn-security.
I will include more comprehensive information about the other security
features to the wiki and link from the release notes -
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/Security. Could highlight such
overviews better in further announcements.  You are already in the edit
group for the Fedora wiki. If you want to include such information
yourself see http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/WikiEditing

Thank you for bringing this up to the list.

regards
Rahul