The big What-Why-How

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 04:26:39 UTC 2005

On 9/8/05, Marc Wiriadisastra <marc.w at smlintl.com.au> wrote:
> One difference that I noticed for example which isn't a bug report but a
> comment.  RHEL sound works on my laptop, ubuntu sound works on my
> desktop FC4 sound doesn't work?

bugs are bugs are bugs are bugs... did you happen to file a bug about
your specific hardware during the test phase leading up to fc4
release? Or did you run into this after release.  You make it sound
like there was a delibrate effort to make sound not work for you.
Perhaps its just a bug.. a hardware specific bug... that didn't get
reported during testing. Go watch the upstream alsa list or the kernel
lists..and watch how often hardware specific bugs about specific
peices of hardware pop up.  Is there room for improvement for how to
organize manpower and hardware coverage during test releases leading
to a release...yes.. of course.

I will point out howver that Ubuntu is not immune to sound problems
either appearently.....
http://linux.iuplog.com/default.asp?item=94639
<over the top alarmist mode>
Dear god no! a desktop oriented distro that has sound problems! That
ubuntu project has clearly failed their target mission! They are
doomed!
</over the top>

<rational empathic human>
I see some rather familiar fc4 sound problems in those ubuntu hardware
problem forums.
As I expected really.. since most of the problems even in FC4 appear
to be issues with bad default settings for cards in upstream Alsa. And
well.. isnt it better for everyone to work these problems out as part
of upstream alsa so everybody downstream gets the fix?

bugs are bugs are bugs are bugs

Please take your personal experience with a grain of salt and try not
to extrapolate that out too far into the rest of the community. I
don't want to confuse you with an OSnews reviewer.  I think you should
avoid making arguments that use the phrase "majority of the time" when
making any cross-comparative statement... because I'm pretty sure
noone in this list including you has any sense of what "majority of
the time" experiences really are for any distro across the vast arrary
of real-world hardware... noone has hard data on that.

bugs are bugs are bugs are bugs.

-jef"step right up.. pay 5 dollars to ride my time machine and find
tomorrow's bugs so you can fix them today..thus ensuring the implosion
of the universe"spaleta