[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: For this weeks meeting agenda...



Boys, boys.  You're both pretty.  :)

Bryan, I get your point.  Lemme talk to some smart folks and see what the 
general feeling is around XFS "inside the walls."  I'm kinda curious 
myself now.

--g

_____________________  ____________________________________________
  Greg DeKoenigsberg ] [ the future masters of technology will have
 Community Relations ] [ to be lighthearted and intelligent.  the
             Red Hat ] [ machine easily masters the grim and the 
                     ] [ dumb.  --mcluhan

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005, Bryan J. Smith wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 08:51 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Its not tunnel vision.
> 
> >From the answers I've seen, it is -- it damn is.
> 
> > RHEL features and bugfixes are driven by the customer requests and
> > support calls in a very real sense
> 
> Because Red Hat is getting web servers and Oracle servers (raw slices)
> and grid computing sales.  Red Hat is now _losing_ multi-TB file server
> sales because they can_not_ deliver on it with just Ext3 -- especially
> given its lack of user-space filesystem support.
> 
> Sun is eating that up.  I guess Red Hat has decided it is not worth
> doing?  Or is it because the Fedora developments, including those by its
> own developers who obliviously think "Ext3 doesn't do anything XFS
> does."
> 
> That's marketing -- however you slice it -- and a major issue.
> 
> > and not rants in a mailing list
> 
> This isn't a "rant."  This is me, a system integrator at Fortune 100
> companies over the last 4 years, telling you not only what I have
> experienced, but what others have experienced.  We cannot offer Fedora
> Core and Red Hat Enterprise Linux solutions -- and it starts with Fedora
> developments.
> 
> The fact that you're taking it as a "rant" instead of -- "hmmm, maybe
> there is a 4-year 'suggestion' this guy is trying to make" -- goes to
> the heart of the matter.  I'm not the only "ranting lunatic" out there
> having to "move back" to Solaris for solutions.  
> 
> > especially not ones in Fedora marketing list.
> 
> I honestly don't know where else to turn.  And when I read the rather
> "say nothing" portion that just feeds the ReiserFS and JFS proponents
> their "Red Hat is unfairly biased towards Ext3" non-sense, I have to
> agree with them from the XFS mis-conceptions presented.
> 
> > If you want Red Hat to listen in relationship to RHEL, try 
> > http://redhat.com/support.
> 
> Been there -- a good 4 years.
> 
> > For Fedora, here is how you contribute. Note that the amount of 
> > oppurtunities  is much more than RHEL
> 
> Yes, I know.
> 
> > * File bug reports
> > * File feature requests with good rationale. I would like to have more 
> > than 8 TB filesystems for such and such scenarios might be better than 
> > "I want XFS"
> 
> You didn't hear a word I said.  That is so sad.
> 
> > * Write code and send in patches
> 
> I'll get farther with SGI than I will Red Hat.  I'm asking -- at the
> Fedora level -- to try to get Red Hat involved.  I've been trying
> various avenues for 4 years now to no avail.
> 
> And it's only getting more pertinent as Solaris is now on Opteron.
> 
> > * Write documentation
> 
> Way, way -- WAY AHEAD -- of you there.
> 
> > * Translate UI and docs
> > * Package in Fedora Extras
> 
> I'm actually looking to submit several Fedora Extras packages.
> 
> > * Art work, themes and sound themes
> > * Advocate
> 
> I'm well known as a "Red Hat apologist" (even though I hate the title).
> So I find it humorous that you would suggest that to me.  ;->
> 
> > * Last but not the least, use it
> 
> Considering I've been integrating Fedora Core in companies as large as
> one major Fortune 20 company in just the last 2 years, and several other
> Fortune 100 companies as well -- again, WAY AHEAD OF YOU THERE.
> 
> > There might be a few I have missed
> 
> Again, I'm not some "I want filesystem X" puke.
> But I know you'll feel free to take my comments as such.
> 
> 
> -- 
> Bryan J. Smith     b j smith ieee org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> The best things in life are NOT free - which is why life is easiest if
> you save all the bills until you can share them with the perfect woman
> 
> --
> Fedora-marketing-list mailing list
> Fedora-marketing-list redhat com
> http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-marketing-list
> 


[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]