Active Vs Passive was..Why getting Shared Media rolling is important

Karlie Robinson karlie_robinson at webpath.net
Fri Apr 14 19:29:17 UTC 2006

FYI - Clair is on Hotmail right now
~K

Clair Shaw wrote:

> From: Karlie Robinson <karlie_robinson at webpath.net>
>

>> What I'm talking about is a no-holds-bared *marketing* assault on the
>> installed computer base in schools.
>

> Hi, this is a good idea; I'm wondering if this is something that can
> be done through the Word Of Mouth project?

Word of mouth will surely help, and it will help bring in warm leads.
It may also take longer to get people on board.

It may need to start with a "Seed" school and then systematically find
decision makers to talk with.

The very first "seed" would be a pilot program.  They would be a willing
participant aware that there are going to be bumps along the way.  Which
isn't that hard to overcome as long as they know we're willing to bust
butts to make it right.

The Seed would then be an example for the next phase which spreading
FOSS to neighboring schools.

But the point to make with Schools is saving money.  If we're really on
the ball, we're going to gather volunteers and do all the installs for
the cost of the Pizza and cold drinks.   I'd even wager that would cost
less than their OS, Antiviurs, and malware cleaner for 1 machine.