[Fedora-marketing-list] Re: slashdot

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Tue Aug 22 22:37:26 UTC 2006

Thought I'd chime in a little bit here:

>>> That's because on the last question "Have you tried Ubuntu yourself?
>>> Is there, in your opinion, something Ubuntu does better than Fedora?"
>>> Max didn't actually answered. He cites the main site/wiki efficency
>>> and the fist second impression of a missing NetworkManager but then he
>>> omits to talk about the obvious better "dektop experience" for Ubuntu
>>> users (fade effects, fast user switching, general graphical
>>> consinstency [1]).

I talked about it -- I think you disagree with my answer, but that's
perfectly fine!

We we run Gnome, and they run Gnome.  To me, Gnome is Gnome.  People might
tweak it a bit here and there, but it's basically the same across
distributions.  If one distribution is making mager changes, then
shouldn't they be trying to move all of that upstream, in the spirit of
being a good open source citizen?

>> Fedora does not support or include non-free software within the
>> distribution.

That will never change.

> Fedora Project should speak loud on this inconsistency (for the record i
> have 14 different repositories in my yum.repos.d, some enabled some not,
> and i do not think it's easy to get the reason of this to the "non
> introduced").

Wow.  14?  What are you doing with 14 repos?

Core, Extras, and maybe 1 third party repo should be almost anything that
someone needs unless there's some very specialized work happening.

What benefit do you gain from so many additional repos?  To me, that seems
like it would be a lot of trouble, and a recipe for instability in the
system.

--
Max Spevack
+ http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MaxSpevack