development cycle (Was: Re: What's New in Fedora Core 5 Test2 (LWN): Some comments)

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Jan 30 19:32:29 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net> wrote:
> I'm confused.  Wasn't our original and still official release
> schedule every 6-9 months?
> Where is the confusion coming from?

It was a combination of things.

One was the confusing, albeit understandable (for legal reasons),
messages from Red Hat that led to a _lot_ of speculation.  There were
about 10x as many people and projects just bitching and moaning why
they couldn't [ab]use the Red Hat(R) trademark anymore.

Two, and more relevant, were pages like the "Which Linux is Right For
Me?" and similar that listed only a 4-6 month development time for
Fedora Core.  It also had all sorts of other comments that would
really suggest a lot of things that the nay-sayers just ate up.

It was very difficult to deal with that when it was right there on
Red Hat's site.

--
Bryan J. Smith     Professional, Technical Annoyance
b.j.smith at ieee.org      http://thebs413.blogspot.com