Fedora web site. The "I'm feeling lucky" test.

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Wed Jun 7 17:53:59 UTC 2006

Irving Bennett escribió:
>> On Wednesday 07 June 2006 05:17, Naoki <naoki at valuecommerce.com> wrote:
>>> Don't flame me, just making an observation and voicing an opinion ( and
>>> we all know about those ).
>>>
>>> I typed the following terms into google and hit "I'm feeling Lucky" and
>>> this is what I felt about the results..

>>> "fedora" - Without doubt the most disappointing, and least exciting
>>> result of the bunch.
>>>
>>> Of the fedora sites I tend to lean towards fedoraproject.org being the
>>> nicest, fedora.info coming in second, while fedora.us is down for me so
>>> I can't tell.
>>>
>>> I tend to think the same as Bill Hicks when it comes to marketing but it
>>> would be nice if Fedora was better represented.
>>>
>>> Is anybody working on perhaps improving the situation or would this be
>>> deemed low priority / unimportant ?
>>>
>> There's not too terribly much more we can do about this.  Google's results
>> are
>> largely determined by their PageRank formulas a few other automated
>> factors,
>> and the standing of results can change at any time.  fedora.redhat.com was
>> long the official Fedora website, and the migration to fedoraproject.org
>> has
>> been slow in many regards.  As more people and websites begin pointing to
>> fedoraproject.org instead, that domain will rise in the results.  Having
>> the
>> external references split between the two domains has a negative impact on
>> the standings of each.  If you want to help, the best thing you can do is
>> tell people to direct their links to the fedoraproject.org domain.
>>
>> --
>> Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
>> nman64 at n-man.com
>>
>> http://www.n-man.com/
>>
>> LinkedIn:
>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/nman64
>>
>> Have I been helpful?  Rate my assistance!
>> http://rate.affero.net/nman64/
>> --
>>
>> --
>
> I believe Naoki was referring to the quality of the Fedora sites. The
> Fedora sites do not have nearly as much information and documentation as
> the other sites. We know that much of the excellent Redhat documentation
> applies to Fedora as well, but within the Fedora sites there is almost no
> documentation. For example, there is no "Fedora User Guide" in the Fedora
> sites. Also, if you take a look at Recent Changes in the Fedora Project
> site, most of the activity has to do with this group. There is very little
> activity in the "real information" area.
>
> As a long time Fedora user, I have often turned to other places to find
> information on how to run my Fedora Linux systems. Most often I turn to
> Redhat, or tldp.org. Very seldom do I find answers in fedora.redhat.com,
> or fedoraproject.com... The answer, of course, is that some of us have to
> pick up that ball, and run with it!
>
> Saludos,

> [...]
I was thinking about this the other day, and I think that
fedraproject.org should also host the "international" sites of Fedora,
in other words a single place for all things Fedora. For me searching
on Google's "I feel lucky" for Fedora took me to fedora-es.com, so not
that deviated (as I'm a natural Spanish speaker and my Fedora is in
Spanish), but still having all fall under the fedoraproject.org/[lang]
umbrella would be better, IMO.