Fedora's Banner

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Mon Mar 13 12:40:13 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Tejas Dinkar wrote:
>>
>> This is my favorite one so far!!!
>>
>> unfortunately, this is a bit grainy (the word 'voice' is), so can you

The grainy part was my mistake in converting from true color to indexed,
I corrected this along with another visual bug so the image is updated now:
http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/banners/fedora_banner_composite.gif
The animation is also twice as slow (see below for more details).

>> please make a bigger one, and we'll put it on the fp.o wiki.

I have to wave my hand in a Jedi gesture and say: you do not want a
bigger one :p
This banner is in a standard size, 468x60, we do not want to have
banners in unusual sizes, that would be evil - for example people who do
not want to be annoyed by banners can block those standard sizes either
with some browser extensions (AdBlocker for Firefox) or with a proxy.

The next standard size is 600x120, which is in my opinion somewhat too
big and not so much used.
Doing the banner at a bigger and non-proportional size would involve
re-creating it from scratch. I will do it only if absolutely needed.

>> Hell, I vote for it to come on the first page!!!
>>
>> GJa
>>
> Its pretty good but I wouldnt want to put it in the front page without
> atleast slowing down the animation speed. Can you help document the
> procedure of doing it?

Unfortunately, the Gimp does not have (AFAIK) a one click solution, but
there are at least two ways:

1. open the GIF in Gimp. see the delay in milliseconds in the name of
each layer. adjust as needed - this is no good in an animation like this
with a lot of frames.

2. use the XCF source:
http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/banners/fedora_banner_composite.xcf
open it with Gimp and save as GIF. select to save layers as animation
and specify the delay you want. the resulting GIF is very big, so open
it again in Gimp and use Filters->Animation->Optimize and save the
result again as GIF.

The second method is a little awkward: normally you would first optimize
and then save as GIF, but this will impose a delay of 100 ms, so you
have to save as GIF to set the desired delay first (probably I should
complain to Gimp developers about this).

--
nicu
my hats collection: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/hats/