Turning off Paid Adverts for Sponsored Media

Stephen Krenzel sgk284 at gmail.com
Tue May 2 20:24:04 UTC 2006

    I agree, but no one is going to give any money as long as Fedora is
perceived to be backed by Red Hat. I have to admit, Fedora *is* Red Hat's
baby, just as Ubuntu is Shuttleworth's baby, and OpenSuse is Novell's baby.
I don't think that a lot of people would donate to any of these projects,
except for a few exceptions. If OpenSuse started asking for money, people
would laugh, a similar outcome would result with Fedora as well. I'm not
sure what kind of resources it would take, but getting Red Hat or some other
organization to donate a chunk of cash to Fedora so that we could give away
free CDs ( similar to Ubuntu ) is the only way I really see any of these
media plans working. Ubuntu set the "media distribution" bar high, and we
aren't anywhere near it right now. I don't think it is reasonable, nor wise,
to ask someone to sit on a waiting list, especially when they can just go to
a different distribution's site and be guaranteed a cd in a relatively short
period of time. We simply are not being competitive enough in this aspect of
marketing Fedora. This is not to put down the efforts that Fedora has made
thus far, but until someone finds a way to allow free CDs (or a dvd) to be
distributed for free upon request, our efforts will be compared to Ubuntu's
and claimed to be second rate at best.
-Steve