New logo guidelines and web design elements posted

chasd at silveroaks.com chasd at silveroaks.com
Thu May 25 19:01:24 UTC 2006

> The new logo guidelines are out!
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo

Yay !
I am glad to see the guidelines are simple, short, and easy to
understand, at least from the perspective of someone used to looking at
this type of document. Some comments:

1)
The color of the guides used to delineate the clear space reserved
around the graphics is difficult to read, and is too similar to the
color choices of the graphics. As someone that has created bluelines in
the past, I understand why light blue was chosen, but I think gray or
black may have been a better choice.

2)
I would recommend that acceptable background colors be specifically
listed, and all others prohibited. This is common in other graphic
standards documents I have been exposed to. I think the "whitelist" for
backgrounds should be white or the listed PMS 2935. It isn't hard for
me to close my eyes and imagine some rather distasteful or problematic
background colors used, but maybe that's my problem. For example, the
logo on a background of PMS 541 ( the dark blue ) would make the symbol
almost disappear, but that is not prohibited by the document. The logo
on black would lose the symbol in the darkness ( logotype in white ),
although it would not be as bad as a background of PMS 541.

Perhaps the clear space around the logo if it is placed on a
non-acceptable background could have rounded edges similar to the
backgrounds used in the usage guide. This would make a "badge" of
sorts. Of course, a radius for the corners relating to the x-height
shown would be a good idea.

3)
The link for the recommended font should be clickable in the document.
I understand that the document was exported out of InDesign 3.0.1,
where that is not easy to do. I can do that for you if the originator
of the document is not able to.

4)
There is no other contact information in the document. I think there
should be a URL listed where designer could go to check for the latest
version of the document, or for links to the graphics files. PDF files
tend to get stored locally on hard drives. Once the usage guide is
separated from the web site, there are no internal references to make
it back to from where the document came.

5)
The RGB and CMYK colors should be listed as approximate, since how
devices render those values varies considerably. However without using
LAB values, what you have is probably the best you can do.

Although many people assume all RGB values are specified on a scale of
0-255, there are several graphics programs that use 0-100. The scale of
RGB values is not mentioned in the document.

Curiously, if I open the SVG files in InkScape, not the originating
program ( Illustrator 11 ), the color values are much different from
those specified in the usage document ( in _all_ color spaces ). In my
tests, if I used Illustrator 11 or 12, the colors are specified
correctly ( but not in Illustrator 10 ). However, it is likely that
someone will use InkScape ( or Xara LX ) to open these graphics files.
Although I would expect there would be a huge scream about proprietary
formats, I would recommend providing the original .ai files for those
that _want_ to use Illustrator, .svg files exported from InkScape with
correct color values for thse that want to use that program, and CMYK
.eps files for use specifically in print. SVG is great, but it doesn't
support CMYK very well ( if at all ), so if you need to distribute
something specifically for print, EPS is the best format. You could
have 2 PMS color EPS files as well. Many modern color laser printers
support DeviceN color ( like at Kinko's ), so color matching is
generally better now using PMS specification rather than CMYK, a switch
from a few short years ago.

6)
The recommended font could be shown in a range of sizes instead of just
one size to better illustrate the feel of the font.

7)
Will there be a layout file/template so that printed information
distributed at LUG meeting would have a consistent look ?
( OOo, Scribus, InDesign, XPress )
A OOo Impress template ?

Otherwise, great job !

> Please be sure not to violate any of the guidelines.

Repercussions are ?
I've got a big steel ruler, but it doesn't stretch that far . . .

Thanks,

Charles Dostale