Linus and Fedora

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri May 26 19:31:17 UTC 2006

On 5/26/06, Peter Jones <pjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 12:09 -0400, Alex Maier wrote:
> > Hey, mind posting this on the Media Coverage page?
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing/PressArchive
>
> We probably shouldn't -- it's nice to have him as a user, but he doesn't
> really announce when he's changed his mind on which distro he's using,
> so it's _really_ easy to be citing old data.
>
> (to wit, he mailed me yesterday to say that he's using Ubuntu on his Mac
> Mini Core Duo box until I fix a grub bug he's hitting...)

Even in the article interview he says what he's using isn't that
important, because the distros are relatively similar. He's just using
fedora on his systems because he's lazy and this is the easiest way
for him to get visual consistency across his machines.  It could have
been any other distro.  He's actually saying that at this point the
choice between distros mostly doesn't matter much. That isn't a
particularly strong selling point, and I bet if anyone makes the
effort to quote him out of context, he'll make a public statement
disavowing whatever over-reaching implications that are attempted to
hang on the segment of the interview where he says he's using fedora.
Reading the whole interview.. he's saying the particular distro choice
at this point isn't that important.  I sentiment I'd agree with, and
yet one I wouldn't suggest making a driving part of the Fedora
marketing campaign.

-jef"Use fedora on your ppc... because its already on your pc"spaleta